Friday, June 4, 2010


The last week has been absolutely righteous.

May 25th - I showed up in Louisville to spend a night with the one and only Dillon Zimmerman and his wonderful wife, Kathryn before my pre-departure training started. I had a great time. However, my stay brought much strife to the household. Dillon found out his car had a pretty serious mechanical problem right before he had to come pick me up from the airport. When I got to his house, his laptop wasn't working. We started working on some cabinets and we put a handle on the wrong side of a door. We bought the wrong hinges. The dryer exhaust hose came off when my stuff was in the dryer, etc, etc, etc. I offer my full apology to Dillon and his family. And I hope we can still be friends.

May 26th - I showed up for Pre-Departure Orientation along with 32 other interns who are also out and about for the next two months. Ethiopia, Mexico City, Ivory Coast (do work!), Chili, and Kenya. After a few trust falls and ice-breakers we became good friends and I had lots of time to spend in prayer and in the Bible.

June 1st - Take-OFF! Delving into the unknown is a crazy thing. Especially when there is no turning back. It was a weird feeling to know I was getting on a plane with complete commitment to the unknown. No dropping out. No quitting. No edit, undo. What in our lives do we ever commit to? Not much. I have to know everything about anything before I ever make any kind of serious commitment. If I was going to move somewhere new, I would have to know where I was going to work, where I was going to live, where I was going to go to church, what kind of neighborhood I would be in, what kind of schools, people, on and on. Any major decision I make, it has to be thought out from start to finish, with at least 3 back-up plans. Moving, jobs, significant others. We have to get to know everything before we commit. And instead of committing, we spend our whole lives testing the waters. Cause diving in is our greatest fear. As long as we're staying above the surface, we can see the safety of shore. And if we're rich enough, we can get lifeguards. It's human nature. And that is why I think I had such a weird feeling leaving for Kenya. Every evidence I had around me, every prayer, every scripture, every person I encountered confirmed to me that what I was doing was right. Regardless, "it ain't easy". So anyways, I'm writing to you from Lodwar, Kenya. So here goes. Sometimes you just have to accept the fact that you know nothing and won't know anything until you dive in. God gives us the past and the present. But the future is His. The one aspect of time humans cannot see.

June 2nd - Didn't make our flight in D.C. Toured D.C.

June 3rd - 14 hour lay-over in London. Toured London.

June 4th - Flew into Turkana. Drove around Lodwar in a Landrunner. Started learning some of the Turkana from my new friends Simon and Eric. Great people. The town is incredibly hard to describe. I have never seen anything like it. I'm so pumped for the rest of the week. Tomorrow, they are putting me into a Turkana family's house by myself for three days so I can experience their day-to-day lives and learn some language. I'll come back on Tuesday and leave again for three days to stay in a community in "the bush". My teammate Josh will accompany me on that. I'm pumped.

Wish I could say more, but I've over-stayed my time on this computer. If you know me, you know I write slow. Love you all.

From the days of John the Baptist until now, the kingdom of heaven has been forcefully advancing, and forceful men lay hold of it. Matthew 11:12

5 comments:

  1. So excited. Splash some more water on us when you get the chance. Prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, Drew. I can already see and feel God doing an amazing work in you. Can't wait to hear (read) more!
    P.s. this made me laugh .. "As long as we're staying above the surface, we can see the safety of shore. And if we're rich enough, we can get lifeguards." Good job and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dang thats hard crap... i hope i can transfer that to real life. thanks praying for you buddy...right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So excited for you, Drew. Hope you can keep the updates coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do work! Its so exciting to see all that God is doing all over the world! I'm looking forward to more updates...

    ReplyDelete