Sunday, August 1, 2010

The end is not the End



I have safely arrived back in Nardin, OK. And what a beautiful green country it is. My last blog was really brief cause I was in a rush so here's my final thought-out blog. Anything else I put on here will be for mindless entertainment.

Let's start with some sweet Summer 2010 statistics. Josh and I were blessed enough to have a hand in:
6 new wells!
and
2 new solar farms!

So that is exciting to look back on and remember how many lives changed and are still being changed by the work we did this summer. I wish the drill crew the best as they continue the work over the course of the next year without us. We got very close this summer and I miss them already. The drilling site is their home 7 days a week, not just 5, and I pray for their continued diligence and spirit.



So some things that have really changed for me... I gotta say the one of the biggest ones was a huge decrease in self-worth. Everything of material value and comfort was taken away. I was dirty, sleeping on the ground every night, sand would blow in my face, I knew bugs would crawl on me all night but I only took time to get slap off the ones that were threatening the vitals. i.e. face/neck. We had flavored lettuce for dinner almost every night etc....

According to the world, I was living at the lowest of low. And I know everyone always comes back from this kind of experience with a better sense of gratitude, but it was more than that. It was humbling. I don't deserve to be clean, I don't deserve my next meal, I don't deserve shoes, I don't deserve a roof over my head, I don't deserve a car. Don't deserve to be saved. God freely gave all. And I am unworthy. And if you don't have something, it doesn't mean you weren't worthy enough. We are not worthy! So that got shot down this summer.

Every blessing we do not turn into praise, turns into pride. -Mr. Groeschel

Just a quick story on one friend, Paulo. He worked with us on the crew for the past 5 weeks. He is around 45 years old; the respected elder of sorts. I wasn't sure if he liked me the first week but over time we became good friends. Last Sunday, even though we always keep one man at our campsite to prevent theft, some kids managed to make off with a couple bows and arrows we had purchased. I was pretty bummed and fairly unhopeful we would ever see our Turkana weapons again.

I went ahead and told our leader who translated it to the other guys on the crew including Paulo. Some of the guys looked puzzled and they talked a little bit but I couldn't understand. Everyone keeps talking. Paulo, however, doesn't say a word. He laces his shoes, grabs a stick, and takes off walking across the desert sands towards "town". The way he was walking, I just knew that some kids were about to get some scars to remember the day they stole our bows. And I was pumped. I wasn't that excited about the possibility of getting our bows back. I was overwhelmed by the fact that Paulo would be that angry at another Turkana for stealing from us. (Materially speaking) I am the rich American they should be trying their best to take advantage of. A brotherhood in Christ stronger than blood. It's good. So good he was willing to knock heads for us. Quite an honor. 15 minutes later bows were back in hand.

I have had ridiculously blessed summer. Praise the Lord! Thank you to all who encouraged and supported me. I couldn't have done it without you. Will I ever go back? Good question. The answer is I don't know. Planning the future and discerning what God's will is for my life has always been something I've struggled with. But praise God for these words from Francis Chan:
>God cares more about our response to His Spirit's leading today, in this moment, than about what we intend to do next year. In fact, the decisions we make next year will be profoundly affected by the degree to which we submit to the Spirit right now, in today's decisions.

It is easy to use the phrase "God's will for my life" as an excuse for inaction or even disobeience. It's much less demanding to think about God's will for your future than it is to ask Him what He wants you to do in the next ten minutes. It's safer to commit to following Him someday instead of this day.

Well, that about does it for me. There's a lot of problems and hurt in this world. Good to know that one day God is going spread his tent over all who have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

"Never again will they hunger never again will they thirst. The sun will not beat upon them nor any scorching heat. For the Lamb at the center of the throne will be their shepherd; he will lead them to springs of living water. And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes." Revelation 7:16

The end

1 comment:

  1. All of your writing classes have paid off. The second paragraph under the send picture... wow. I need that written on my bathroom mirror. I'm pumped to talk to you next. I'll have lots of questions for you!

    ReplyDelete