Sunday, July 25, 2010

Coming Home!

Wow! Today I’m flying out of Lodwar. It will definitely be sad to leave all my friends behind. I hope to see you all back in the states soon though!

The past two weeks were awesome.

Me and Josh spent 7 nights with the drilling crew. We finished 2 wells. The first went fairly smoothly. On Tuesday, the 12th, a few locals showed up and told us that they had spotted a hyena in the vicinity. So here’s the thing, the Turkana do not like hyenas. Hyenas eat livestock. So when they find one, they track it down and kill it. About 30 minutes later we had about 35 men armed with spears at our site, one being myself. So we took off walking for about 25 minutes and got to some big bushes which we encircled. Once everyone was situated, someone scared it out, and spears started flying, and the ugliest creature I have ever seen came limping/running out. This was followed by more spears, clubs, whips, etc. Unfortunately the hyena did not run out on my side and I was not close enough to help put an end to its wretched life, but it was crazy fun to watch all the same. Good people. Glad we got to install the handpump for them.


At the second site we kept running into really hard clay about 15 feet down and it took us 7 tries to find good soil! But it was well worth it. We finished and the people have clean water.

So now I’m headed back to the states. 28th – Indianapolis. 31st – Home. I’ll put up pictures and video then. Hope all is well on the western front. See you all soon!

Drew

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to pick you up in KC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get home safe Drew. Can't wait to get together and listen to your stories.
    ps. I laughed out loud picturing how excited you would be all dressed up ready to spear a hyena. Love it

    ReplyDelete